Friday, September 22, 2017

Friday Finish

I was reading my old "Just Choose Three" posts and realized there are some quilts mentioned there that I never shared. Let me present Bending the Rules!

This quilt was a lot of fun to make and was inspired by the Denyse Schmidt solid fabrics shown here. I'd had the quilt designed for years but could never get happy with colors to use. As soon as I saw those fabrics at a Portland Modern Quilt Guild meeting, I knew I had my solution! 

I used the Aztec Wave pantograph designed by Patricia E. Ritter and Marybeth O'Halloran for the quilting. I love the movement it adds to the quilt. (No, I don't receive royalties from Urban Elementz... I just love their pantos!).



Friday, September 8, 2017

Another Mystery Finish

For several years now, I've been designing a mystery quilt as a fundraiser for the Westside Quilters Guild in Hillsboro, Oregon. Our 7th Annual Mystery Workshop will be held on October 28th. I finished up quilting one of the quilts this week, but since I can't share the quilt I thought I'd share my fabric choices. I've been working toward my designs being very friendly for charity, throw, or twin-size quilts. This one finishes at 64'' x 81''.

Here are my choices for quilt #1. Focal = red; yellow= pop; blue = frame; cream = background.

This is for quilt #2. Background = grey; pop = green; focal = fishing print; frame = black.

Version #3 will have a background that shines with solid or tone-on-tone playmates. This is going to be one fun class! I can't wait to see what everyone makes. 

Friday, September 1, 2017

The Oops Quilt

Have you ever made a quilt that defied you all the way? This is mine. Every year, I design a new quilt and teach a mystery workshop to the Westside Quilters Guild. I've also designed two "clue of the month" type quilts that we made on our Sewing Saturdays. I designed this Be Mine quilt, got all the instructions written, and started cutting. (Yes, I write the instructions first and test the pattern as I go for accuracy.)

I got all my cutting finished and realized I had too much fabric left over. Double-checked  the number of strips -- no, that wasn't it. Then it dawned on me... this quilt was designed using 2-1/2'' strips and I cut everything at 2''!!  So my class version of the quilt was a mini version. Ugh. It's a little embarrassing when the designer can't even cut her own fabric.


The second oops was my binding. It turned out wider than usual and my seam allowance was narrower. At this point, I just wanted it finished so I finished hand sewing the binding last night. While I love this quilt, it may need to find a new home. :)

P.S.: This year's mystery design has been much easier and I'm even including some new construction methods in the pattern. Looking forward to class on October 28!